Hula Pie

0

Jun 26

Hula Pie

posted by Dorothy Kern

This is the pie of my dreams: Hawaiian HULA PIE! It's got an Oreo cookie crust, macadamia nut vanilla ice cream, hot fudge, and a hefty dose of chopped macadamia nuts. It's easy and no-bake and it's worth every calorie!

Hula Pie - this easy no bake pie has an Oreo crust, macadamia nut ice cream, and hot fudge! Everyone loves it!

If you've ever been to Hawaii you've probably heard of and/or tasted Hula Pie. It's a classic dessert in the touristy parts of the islands and it's easy to see why. (Hello, ice cream, Oreos, and hot fudge.)

Last year, on our first trip to Maui, we went out for Father's Day dinner at the Hula Grill. We'd been shopping all afternoon in the hot sun and ended up sitting outdoors at the restaurant, directly in the sun. We got through dinner, ordered Hula Pie…and then Jordan almost got heat stroke. We ended up leaving Mel at the table, Hula pie melting away, to run back to our hotel to get her cooled off.

For an entire year I dreamed about that pie. It had been the one meal I was looking forward to, and I'd only gotten one bite. When we planned our return trip this year, I got smart: we relaxed all day in the pool and shade, drank lots of water, and went to Leilani's on the Beach only once the sun had started to set. They had two kinds of Hula Pie that day: regular and Butterfingers. The three of us ordered a slice of each and demolished both in less than 10 minutes.

It was magical.

No Bake Hula Pie Recipe

Seriously, this is my favorite pie ever. I first was introduced to it about 16 years ago when I went to Kauai with my mom. I thought about it for years and years until I finally had it again. It's one of those special things you can only get in Hawaii…until now.

The recipe starts with an Oreo Cookie Crust. I love making the crusts myself because they taste so much better than store-bought, but it would be much easier to go that route, so do what you like best! I love my Oreo Crust recipe because it's totally no bake and it's thick and even better than eating actual Oreos!

You fill the crust with macadamia nut ice cream. Now, it's easy to find that in Hawaii, but not so much here on the mainland. I bought a big bag of macadamia nuts from Trader Joe's, chopped 1 cup and stirred them into my favorite vanilla ice cream. Make sure to use a really good ice cream! Then pile it high into the pie crust.

Once it re-freezes you cover it with hot fudge and more macadamia nuts. The end result: pure decadence.

Easy No Bake Hula Pie Recipe - an easy no bake pie with an Oreo crust, macadamia nut ice cream, and hot fudge! No one could stop eating this pie!

My pie isn't as high as a traditional Hula Pie, but that's okay. I could have doubled up on the ice cream…but no one needs that many calories! 🙂

(Also…Mel ate it.)

Watch me make this recipe from start to finish on my YouTube Channel! Subscribe for all of my recipes.

Hula Pie

Yield: 8-10 servings

Total Time: 20 minutes, plus chilling

This easy no bake Hula Pie has an Oreo Crust, vanilla macadamia nut ice cream, and hot fudge topping! Everyone loves this pie!

Hula-Pie-7-of-8-200x200.jpg

Ingredients:

  • 1 recipe Oreo Cookie Crust (or from the store)
  • 1 container (about 1.5Q) vanilla ice cream
  • 1 cup chopped macadamia nuts plus more for topping
  • 2 cups hot fudge ice cream topping
  • Whipped Cream, for garnish

Directions:

  1. Make sure your Oreo crust is chilled if you made it from scratch. Let the ice cream sit at room temperature until you're able to stir it, but it's not all the way melted (about 10-15 minutes). Stir the macadamia nuts into the ice cream. Pile the ice cream into the pie, then freeze until hardened, at least 1 hour.
  2. Spread the hot fudge over the top of the frozen pie. Sprinkle with more macadamia nuts. Freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight.
  3. To serve, top with whipped cream. It's easier to slice if you let it sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes. The first slice might be messy!
© Crazy for Crust. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.

Peanut Butter Ice Cream Brownies

Peanut Butter Ice Cream Brownies (4 of 9)

Butterfingers Ice Cream Pie

Butterfinger Ice Cream Pie (6 of 8)w

Ice Cream Poke Cake

Ice Cream Poke Cake (13 of 13)

Let's block ads! (Why?)

Source: Crazy for Crust